Nuns Valley Tour - Madeira Island
Pico dos Barcelos
High above the hotel zone is a tree topped belvedere. Pico dos Barcelos has an observation point on the edge of Funchal, it is 355m (1165 ft). There’s a magnificent view across Funchal from the top of the viewpoint. The nuns valley tour will then hen take the old narrow, very winding road, up through the eucalyptus forest until Eira do Serrado, absorbing the picturesque view of the peaks.
Eira do Serrado
This belvedere at Eira do Serrado has a spectacular and hair-raising rock ledge, overlooking “Curral das Freiras” a horse shoe shaped valley far below. This valley has three sheer sides that cut into the serrated peaks of Madeira. Here, Madeira’s highest mountain was mistakably believed during many years, to have been a volcanic crater. It is now known that its dramatic geographical shape was created by the river itself. From here you can admire the tiny terraced fields which grow wine, fruit and vegetables and the slopes far below with sweet chestnut trees.
Curral das Freiras
We then Head down in to the Village of Nuns Valley - Curral das Freiras it is one of the most spectacularly situated rural settlements on the island. It is situated in a huge natural amphitheatre, surrounded by some of Madeira’s highest peaks. The village was founded in the sixteenth century by the nuns of the convent of “Santa Clara” in Funchal, from where the nuns fled from pirate attacks in 1566.The centre of the village is situated on a small rise in the middle of the valley. Leaving Nuns Valley you head for your Hotel.
- Payment made Directly to the Guide in Euros
- Children from 0 to 8 years of age pay half price.
- Professional Tour spoken in Portuguese, English, French ,German or Spanish and Italian.
- Transport To and From your Hotel (Hotels in Caniço and Funchal) is Included in the Price.
- All Tours are done in small groups of 8 to 16 pax maximum
- We are not Time Share
- Tours may be Cancelled Due to Weather Conditions or Events Beyond our Control.
- We can Arrange tours for Small, Medium and Large Groups on request, Please Contact Us